Friday, February 28, 2014

Monogamy vs. Polygamy: Are we headed to a new societal norm?

Does entertaining the idea of polygamy only mean you aren't ready for a committed monogamous relationship, or is the taboo of polygamy being entertained as a the next societal shift? With an increase of unfaithful partners, it begs the question are we in a transitional stage of polygamy? But I have a strong belief that this is largely due in part to the ease of being able to cheat.  There is an ever present cycle of looking for the latest and greatest with everything we have in our lives, from technology through to relationships. People are so available via technology that the increase in temptation is far more present than when you had to walk outside and meet someone new. Even with that ease of technology however, people are still lazy when it comes to relationships. There is no challenge to make it work, and far easier to let it go stagnant.
Now mind you, if I'm not in a relationship my dating style is very polygamous, and I use that term loosely. I may be talking to X  and Y when I meet Z, but I have no commitment to any of them. They may not be who I'm looking for and I may not be who they're looking for. Once I make that commitment to X, Y, or Z the other two will fall off and I am complete in my monogamy. Because all three may fulfill something I need, but once I have fallen for one and I only ride for that one, nothing else matters. No amount of technology or difficulty will impede the process of me loving you if you loving me.
Now that I have added my two cents in about how I feel, let me get back to the topic at hand. For me it can be backtracked all the way down to the simplest of gender stereotypes. Men are conditioned to be wild and sow their oats until they are ready to settle down while women are conditioned to settle down and raise a family. The male gender role is breeding this sense of over indulgent behavior while the female gender role is breeding a sense of urgency to commitment. It is almost at a point of regression natural urges versus conditioned urges.
So I leave you with the question are we in a transition of conditioned urges being replaced with the natural urges to have multiple partners and procreate at a rate of lust instead of love?

No comments:

Post a Comment